Bone Quiz 18

It is only Monday and I’m already having one of those weeks where making any progress is a Sisyphean slog – none of my data meet test assumptions, I can’t figure out how to do my taxes, and I’ve thrown in the towel and committed to eating Poptarts for the next several weeks because I know that healthy, adult breakfasts will simply molder unconsumed in my lunch bag.

On the other hand, I’ve finally learned what to “actualize” means; actualization occurs when “material things are taken to focus and specify immaterial things that are often unfocused and unspecific”. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Meetings with my advisor(s)

Meetings with my advisor(s)

For anyone mired in a similarly uphill battle, I’m kicking the week off with a super easy bone quiz. You get two views, and all I want is:

(1) Human/non-human;
(2) Adult/subadult;
(3) Element;
(4) Side;
(5) The features you used to side the bone;

For ONE MILLION BONUS OSTEOLOGY POINTS*, tell me why this is a particularly appropriate bone quiz given the polar weather we’re having.

*You really need to be a particularly nerdy/dedicated reader of this particular blog to get these points.

Answers will be posted in one week. Good luck! My very dirty hand can be used for scale.

VIEW 1
View 1
VIEW 2
View 2

Image Credits: Image of Sisyphus by Kanin, from Scholar Blogs, here. All others taken at the Museo de Jaén.

Answers below the jump.

********************************************************************************

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Bone Quiz, Osteology and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Bone Quiz 18

1. irisa says:

Navicular! Adult! Left! Human!

2. Roberto says:

I do have answers! I don’t write them in order not to spoiler the quiz 😉
    That was too easy for your blog-followers!
    ❤ bonebrokeblog ❤

3. chryssa says:

Human, Adult, Tarsal – Navicular, Left Side, The tubercle is always positioned medialy…:)

4. chryssa says:

sorry, right side… 🙂

5. Roberto says:

Human right adult navicular.
    The talar concave facet is proximal, the three articular facets for the cuneiforms are distal. With the bone held as in view 1, the tubercle points in the opposite direction as to that to which the bone belongs. Or…the bear head (proximal) is looking in the opposite direction as to that to which the bone belongs! 😉

6. JB says:

Great job osteology friends! Everybody got the bone and age correct. Side is right. Roberto gets 1,000,000 bonus osteology points for remembering that an easy way to identify and side the navicular is to treat it like a small polar bear.

7. Pingback: Bone Broke Year in Review 2015 | Bone Broke